Thursday, August 27, 2009

Blitzkrieg Blog Day 3: NYC 2_2

I got in trouble last night for hinting that Cristy may or may not look like my grandmother. I got beat up pretty bad actually. What I meant to say was that my grandmother is still young, vibrant, and beautiful, just like my lovely bride Cristy <3

Long Island. That's all I know.
The United Nations was a little bit of a walk, but well worth it. Unfortunately, the flags were all in storage!
Once inside (we went through a similar process as you would getting on a plane) we saw this beautiful National Geographic nature photograph exhibit. My pictures don't do it justice.
Those are Zebra on a prairie.
Swan evading a water buffalo.
Flamingoes evading an eagle. Good luck!
Penguins!
Two seals.
My favorite picture, zebras walking along a shore during sunset with rain in the distance.
United Nations Flag. It looks kind if girly to me, but I guess its better that Peace looks girly rather than manly.
The UN Building from afar.
I want to say this is St. Patricks Cathedral. It's immense.
The inside. Can you believe that we walked into a wedding ceremony?!? The price to get married in here must be insane.
Rockefeller Center. Around here are where most of the big networks film their shoes (e.g., David Letterman a little to the right and down the road a smidge.) Below the frame of the picture is where they have ice skating and snowcones in the winter.
Inside the Rockefeller Center. What interesting wallpaper.
Another Trump Tower.
FAO Schwarz was more then we bargained for; I was not expecting to become the next octodad. We will leave Octodadding to D.
Nutcrackers made entirely of candy!
Honest to goodness "jawbreaker" candy. What are you supposed to do with that?
Legoes. Breaking your castle never sounded like so much fun.
One of the many groups of lego sculptures in the store. I thought the family might like this one ;)
Chewy must have taken forever.
A clear Apple store, with a guard posted outside, with a glass elevator. Now that I think about it, we should have ridden in the glass elevator. Shoot!
This hotel is where Home Alone II was filmed. It's right next to Central Park.
Talented breakdancers showing off some skills for $. I only had a credit card and I wasn't about to give him that.
The Central Park Zoo was not fun for me--look at that poor Polar Bear! His pin needs to be three times bigger and more reserved.
I forget the name of this lawn in Central Park, but the view from the rock was beautiful.
Cristy said she always wanted to be kissed on a bridge. Bam--it's like I'm a genie or something.
Another Trump Tower. This guy does not make them small.
Carnegie Hall is supposedly one of the most acoustically-sound theatres in the World. We actually snuck in to take a break and rest our poor feet.
After a flash flood that left us soaking wet in the time it took us to put on our jackets and run across the street, we arrived at our final destination for the evening--The Minskoff!
Everything inside and outside of this theatre is dedicated to the Lion King. I imagine this is what makes theatre on Broadway so impressive.
And what a nice view of Times Square on Broadway to boot!

OK, so that whole set of pictures from NYC was just ONE day--27 June, 2009. Years of adolescent video game playing kept my finger from falling off while taking pictures, and years of patience with four in-house siblings kept Cristy from a full blown coup-de-gras of my picture -taking privileges. We slept well, but we arose early in the morning on 28 June...

...for our Anniversary! Church was in the NYC Temple on the middle floor(s). The upper part of the Temple is where all the ordinaces happen, but the congregation is still allowed on the other floors. We actually met some people there from our own Ward! Small city...sort of...
Next we jazzed out to Central Park again, starting where we left off. Cristy stole the camera from me (capital "S" in that steal) and took quite a few good ones. You can't see it so well, but a wedding party is getting pictures taken near the far-side of the fountain.
Alice in Wonderland sculpture.
This is the near side of the Great Lawn, which is the biggest lawn I have ever been in. A 'castle" sits on this side while an Obelisk sits on the other. Just as a point of reference, to this point Cristy and I have walked nearly half an hour and have only made it through a quarter of Central Park, walking almost in a straight line. One could easily spend a full day just walking around this massive area (or running around the seven mile Jackie Kennedy Onassis Resevoir).
Our final destination for the day was the Guggenheim Musuem, which I have heard about for many years but was never able to locate. Here one is! Alas, we did not go through the circular gallery, but maybe next time!

Look forward to Jackson, MS on Monday!

2 comments:

Darren and Laura said...

hey hey hey, what do you mean leave the octodadding to me? you are the ones that have to get to work on having the children!! i'm living it up in single land and have no plans on anything like being a dad any time soon thank you very much ;)

Grandma Sue said...

I didn't know that Trump had more than one tower - goes to show how much I don't know - ok - we won't go there - nice blog though - no trees?