Thursday, September 3, 2009

Blitzkrieg Blog Day 5: Mississippi 2_2

Word on the street is that Grant has started a petition to vote me out of the family. Be warned Grant--a vote cast for me is a vote that will upset Cristy, and that would really upset Mandy, and I don't think you want George to bring the pain train to Ohio. I'm just saying. For your own good ;)

I don't remember where this is, but apparently it's the happening place to be on a Saturday afternoon.
The heat of the day appears to be catching up to everybody.
Nathaniel searching for alligators with the girls.
Not finding any alligators in the lake, we figured the best place might be the swamp. Never having been to a swamp, I was more than a little interested at what we might find there.
BAM. An alligator. Good thing we used to watch Man vs. Wild at our house so I would know how to protect the girls from sun-tanning 'gators should the need arise.
Everything in a swamp has to have some fortitude to survive. Hence this dragonfly, which this picture makes look smaller. Thanks to this guy, I will never get Mississippi Swamp Fevor.
Look how big the black ants are! You can catch a bunch and live off of ants in the swamp.
Later that night we went to a kind of pre- 4th of July community event, featuring a popular country singer (Travis Tritt?) and lots and lots of hot air balloons. Maddie, Sadie, and some other kids I don't know posed for this elect picture.
Up, up, and...on the ground!
Cool stuff for the kids to do
The balloons were beautiful and have some pretty staggering statistics, all of which I have forgotten.

I was pretty impressed by the number of people who attended!
The next morning, 4 July, Damon made everyone pancakes., because he' s Super. Get it?
Sadie and Jack both got special Micky Mouse pancakes. After two days, Jack still doesn't think I should be there.
"I just want to eat my breakfast Grant! Where's Aunt Bevaniel to save me?"
"Oww Grant. Please don't bust off my arms."
Once again, Grant has won over the affection of Jack. Blast. Grant = 2; Nathaniel = 0.
We headed off to pick up some fireworks and just couldn't wait to light some up. These are those "growing snakes" things. When you light up ten it looks way cooler than just one.
Ditto with the smoke bombs.
This picture doesn't look as bad as it seems, but I do think its funny that Jack is laughing and Maddie is not.
Cristy enjoyed reading to Maddie and Sadie multiple times during the trip. They seemed to enjoy it too :)
Grant has not played much soccer in his life, but he was surprisingly good for his inexperience. He hung in there with the veteran players until dark.
Damon and Nikki sitting down, not doing anything. Wow! What a treat!
After the main firework show (which was one of the better I have seen, I might add) we came home and set off the rest of our crackers. It was a lot of fun, and, surprisingly, no one got hurt!
Back from Mississippi, we celebrated my Mother's Birthday on 6 July by going on a walk through a marsh by her house called "Huntley Meadows." It was a good walk and very scenic. You really felt like you were in the marsh.
This beaver was snacking on the grass. It is amazing that he was as big as my thigh and sustaining himself only on grass.
Our group picture. Happy 49th Ma!

3 comments:

Grandma Sue said...

No rides in the balloons? You have not seen Coeur d'Alene fireworks - the best!!!

Janelle said...

Hey you two - loved all the pictures and the captions are even better than the shots! I know you had a great time in the swamp land. Can't wait until we can go there too. Love & Miss ya

Liz and Grant said...

I agree Jack does love me more.