Monday, September 14, 2009

Blitzkrieg Blog Day 7: Grant and Liz Campbell Visit Washington D.C. 1_1

Grant and Liz came to visit us in DC over labor day weekend (4-6 September) a few weeks ago. Some important events that were not captured in picture form: lunch at Generous George's and dinner at Cheesecake Factory (both of which Grant paid for in stealth fashion); Two Fantasy Football Drafts (because just one isn't nerdy enough DAMON); and visiting lots of places and always finding a primo parking spot because we have the luck of the pregnant woman, i.e., Liz. Thanks Liz. Also, thanks Grant for not mentioning how fat I looked in that one picture on your blog.

Cristy and I are used to the size of this memorial, but the Campbells thought is was huge. It's all about perspective I guess.
A picture taken on the short walk between Iwo Jima and Arlington Cemetery.
Grant pointed out that there are lots of "Unknown" tombstones throughout the cemetery, something I had not previously noticed.
Oh the poverty! The destitution! The lack of acid rain induced degradation! Stop smiling Liz! It's not funny!
A lesson for Civics students.
It's not so funny when someone takes a picture of you when you are trying to take a family picture, is it Grant?!? It's not funny Liz!
A less blurry substitute for the Campbells, I hope! (I have originals if you would like them.)

Of course...would would violate this community courtesy?
Ohhhhhhhhhh...its 'dem Moreiras again. Look--they even smile for the picture.
And Liz too! Think of baby!
With all the Idaho, Mississippi, and DC pictures floating around out there, I thought I would bring us back to the most important state in the Union.
Cristy is getting pinched in her side here while I am being butted out of the picture. Thanks for nothing Campbells.
Back at the Museum of Natural History (post-church Sunday activity) we found the highly-cool gem, crystal, and mining exhibit, one of my favorites in all of the Smithsonians. Here lies the accursed Hope Diamond, the largest cut diamond in the world. I was going to buy it for Cristy for our one year anniversary, but I knew she wanted something bigger, so I bought that instead.
Cut vs, Uncut gems...
This is what I actually bought Cristy. We decided it was too big for our apartment so we donated it to the Museum.
A huge slab of Quartz. And the Campbells.
A naturally occurring gem that kind of looks like an meso-american pyramid/village to me. Can you see it?
Glow-In-The-Dark rocks. You see kids...everything you see in the movies and in books is true. You just have to look for it! (Or turn off the lights, as the case may be.)
Grant warned us that Liz might get surprisingly emotional during the visit, and if so, not to worry because the feelings would pass. Shown above, Grant rethinks his advice.
I hadn't lifted weights since that huge red cube in NYC, so I hit the museum and gave the world a few reps. It's easier than it looks.
The next time you see Grant take a picture, do watch. You might be entertained. I hear gritting your teeth helps with resolution.
Look, those Zebras still have their stripes (Help Received: Grant Campbell).
Just be glad you didn't live in pre-historic times...you would be running away from everything, even giant turtles.
Like taking your kids to the pool? Not on my watch baby!

And thus ends my blogging tantrum...with this return to blogging normality...

3 comments:

Grandma Sue said...

I love that last poster - what weird thing are we going to make and leave in the back yard? Great post N

Liz and Grant said...

Your pictures did turn out way better than ours! It was a blast, can't wait to party it up at Thanksgiving (well maybe that will just be more of a "eat lots of food weekend", either way it's gonna be fun.)

Darren and Laura said...

i don't want it to end!!! i liked all the new blogs.